Re: acronyms (was Re: REALLY OT:...)

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> writes:

> Michael Pobega wrote:
>

> > Wow, thanks for that Raju. This dict program is really going to save
> > me a lot of time googling things :D
>
> You are welcome! Little programs like this really make the linux experience
> wonderful! One of the drawbacks of dict is that there is no way (I think)
> to search for idioms. For example, I cannot search for
>
> $ dict "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush"
>
> For those kind of things I use www.wiktionary.org . Install google's toolbar
> in iceweasel and add a custom search for wiktionary, wikipedia for more
> quicker way of finding about stuff.

Fortune will have some of those sayings, such as:

   $ fortune -im 'bird in the hand'
   A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                -- Cervantes

Going back to the acronyms, you can also use 'wtf' for some if you
have the bsd-games package installed.  You just type something like:
   $ wtf is wtf
   WTF: {what,where,who,why} the fuck
:-)

--