Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 08:52:27AM +0100, Joe Hart wrote:

> Please don't start talking about gas prices.  It makes me think about
> how much we get ripped off at the pumps.  Current price is 1.40 Euro per
> liter.  Do the math:  1.3 Euro = 1 Dollar.  3.8 liter = 1 US Gallon.
>
> It's not much better anywhere in Europe.  That's why most people drive
> small cars.

I would think that like most places, Europe's gas prices are primarily
taxes and not the actual cost of oil.  Besides, population densities in
European cities tends to be higher than in US cities, so higher prices
are a way of discouraging ownership/operation of personal motor vehicles
and use of public transit (which is much more reliable/available in most
European cities).

Now, what I would be interested to know is how gas prices in Canada
compare to those in the US and Europe.  I know that when I visited
Puerto Rico a few years ago, gas prices there were comparable to Europe,
even though most of their taxes were comparatively quite low.  This may
have to do with the large number of automobiles on such a small island
prompting the government there to heavily tax gasoline because the
"audience" is captive and as a discouragement against driving too much.
Of course, you can drive from one end of the island to the other in just
a few hours.

Regards,

-Roberto

--