Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove

Steve Lamb wrote:
Dave Sherohman wrote:
OK, one more time:  Delete by default does not have to mean delete
*immediately* by default.  Look at the underlined text above.  I already
explicitly stated that I didn't mean immediate deletion and that delete-
on-folder-change or delete-on-exit are probably better,

    Uh, not in my mind.  Maybe it stems from my years in the ISP business but
generally users only want things deleted when they say they want it deleted.
That doesn't mean "When they press the delete key" or even "After pressing the
delete key and changing folders" or "after pressing the delete key and exiting
the program."  After they say, in its most conservative setting, is after they
have configured the client to delete the way they want.

    And before you or anyone else jumps up with more of your preferences and
ignorance about the reality of computers let me remind you of one simple fact.

    Windows and OSX, by default, require the user to "empty the trash".  ...
... until the end user twiddles
the knob they want to keep as much as possible because the expected behavior
is that the user has to tell the computer to "delete it, really, and this time
I mean it!"

    This is no different.

Actually, it is.

We're not talking about Seamonkey's Trash folder to which tentatively
deleted messages are moved and from which users can recover or really
delete those tentatively deleted messages, working like Windows' and
OS X's trash folders that you you mention.

We're talking about physically deleting deleted copies of messages.
(When you logically tentatively delete a message from the Inbox
folder and Seamonkey logically moves it to the Trash folder, there's
still a physical copy of the data in the file that implements the Inbox
folder.  That physical copy is never available to the user through the
tool.)

Surely you're not ignorant of that reality.

Daniel