Re: any recomendedations of documentation for half a dozen services.

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:09:32AM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
>> hi all
>> i'm about to deploy a network which will be using debian servers on its
>> backend (etch, hopefully) and about a hundred gnu/linux desktops.
>>

>> cifs/smb
>
> The Samba documentation is adequate.  There is also a Samba HOWTO at
> TLDP.org.

Do you mean the documentation in teh samba packages?

>> nfs
>
> Uggh.  Do you really need NFS?  If you have kerberos, something like AFS
> might be a better choice.  If you have to have NFS, then it really
> depends on how you plan to use it.

Well at first we dont have to do any filesharing stuff, so i may not end
up using nfs/samba at all. we wont be doing any centralised logins
though, so i dont know if afs is an option(?)

>> dns
>
> There is this article that I really like:
> http://www.madboa.com/geek/soho-bind/

Thanks, this looks really good.

> If you have never setup BIND before, it is a good place to get started,
> even if you plan for your installation to be lots bigger than the one
> described.
>
>> cups
>
> What do you want to do with CUPS?  Do you need print job accounting?  Do
> you need authentication to print?  Lots more infomation is needed to
> give you a good pointer to the right docs.

I need to be able to setup a cups print server for desktop pcs to
connect to. would the shipped docs cover this ok?

>> exim4
>
> Personally, I would recommend Postfix instead.  If you choose Postfix,
> there is tons of good documentation on the Postfix website.

exim is what i was recommended by friends here.

>> apache
>>   "  ssl
>>

> Apache is one of the best documented open source/free software projects.
> Of course, without knowing how you intend to use it, it is hard to give
> anything more specific than that.

TBH i'm not entirely sure what its for. I'll have to go and ask.

>> Hope you can give me some advice!
>>

> If you can provide some more details, you will get better advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

Thanks for your comments,
kk