Re: any recomendedations of documentation for half a dozen services.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:46:34PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > The Samba documentation is adequate.  There is also a Samba HOWTO at
> > TLDP.org.
> >

> Do you mean the documentation in teh samba packages?

I think it is split out to a seperate package, but yes.  That would
work.

> > Uggh.  Do you really need NFS?  If you have kerberos, something like AFS
> > might be a better choice.  If you have to have NFS, then it really
> > depends on how you plan to use it.
>
> Well at first we dont have to do any filesharing stuff, so i may not end
> up using nfs/samba at all. we wont be doing any centralised logins
> though, so i dont know if afs is an option(?)

Probably not. AFS requires a working Kerberos infrastructure, which
essentially mandates a centralized login scheme.  Though, once you go to
all the trouble, it is very handy.  People can ssh all around without
even using passwords *or* keys, since kerberos tickets are passed
around.

> > What do you want to do with CUPS?  Do you need print job accounting?  Do
> > you need authentication to print?  Lots more infomation is needed to
> > give you a good pointer to the right docs.
> >

> I need to be able to setup a cups print server for desktop pcs to
> connect to. would the shipped docs cover this ok?

Yes.

> > Personally, I would recommend Postfix instead.  If you choose Postfix,
> > there is tons of good documentation on the Postfix website.
>
> exim is what i was recommended by friends here.

OK.  If you have folks to help you out with it.  I think that the
documentation available online is much better and more diverse for
postfix.  But if you have local experts, then you should be fine.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez