Re: opensource nvidia, xinerama

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 20:10 +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> I have a nvidia 7600 card. It has one VGA _and_ on DVI output.
> I also have one DVI to VGA (harware) converter.
> Two screens, strictly the same.
> I intend to run Sid.
> Is there any possibility that the Xinerama mode will work?
> I mean: sharing a laaaaaaarge desktop on  the two screens
> (not cloning/mirroring) _with_ the opensource drivers. I dont
> want to use proprietary drivers.
> Is it possible?

AFAIK, not with the nv driver in sid.

There is a project called Nouveau aiming to write a more complete free
driver for Nvidia cards, and it seems like they have support for dual
screen. See http://airlied.livejournal.com/39093.html

I don't know if your card is supported, but it could be worth a try. Be
aware that Nouveau haven't made any releases yet and is highly
experimental code.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson