Re: Stupid Noob Question: Surfing the 'Testing' edge

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 06:34:21PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:37:02 +0100
> "Nick Demou" <ndemou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > [...]Further down the
> > > release cycle, testing gets naturally more and more stable and
> > > easier and easier to administer and less likely to break as the new
> > > versions get massaged into their final release condition.
> > >

> > I wonder if there is an easy way to undo an apt-get upgrade that will
> > break my system. If there is then sid seems like an ideal solution for
> > my desktop PC. I don't mind if I waste a little time or a little disk
> > space.
>
> The best solution would be a full snapshot of your install before the
> upgrade.

or barring that, maintain a stable install somewhere that you can boot
into to maintain some functionality. or, just be prepared to futz with
it now and then. And purge packages you don't use. THe less you have,
the less you can break. Oh, and give yourself a nice big /var so you
can keep all your .debs around for a while in case you need to
manually backtrack something. Of course, keep good backups and store
no mission critical data you can't live without.