Re: Unable to switch session from GDM

Damodharan R wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using Debain Unstable.  I have a problem with GDM. It always starts
> GNOME no matter what other session I choose. I tried to change the
> session to KDE using the session menu provided in GDM during login. But
> invariably I end up in GNOME.
>
> GDM Version
> ii  gdm                       2.16.4-1                  GNOME Display
> Manager
>
> damu@kanini:~$ ls /usr/share/xsessions/
> Beryl.desktop  gnome.desktop  kde.desktop  lg.desktop
>
> All these four are showing up in the menu. I had a look at the
> /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. But it has empty sections! Please help me to get this
> session stuff working.

	I had the same problem.  First, you have to have kde and kdm installed.

	Next, you have to remove desktop-base, if you have it.  I am not sure
whether this package does anything useful; all I know is that it
replaces the kde login manager opening screen with one of its own and
prevents implementation of some of the options in the kde control
centre.  I don't understand why it is included in the basic packages
installed by the Etch installer; as it obviates choice, one of the
ostensible virtues of Debian.

	Third, you should run as root the "update-alternatives --config"
command three times (space between the s in alternatives and first dash
before config), each time with the following applications in turn (space
between the end of config and the argument): x-session-manager,
x-terminal-emulator and x-window-manager.

	Each of these three commands will produce a sort of menu whereby you
can chose the kde command to start each one of these applications.  The
three kde choices for each one are, in turn: /usr/bin/startkde,
/usr/bin/konsole and /usr/bin/kwin.  These may already be set for you as
a result of installing kde and kdm.  If not, and you want the kde
application to start rather than any other, gnome being only one of the
other choices, change them yourself as described.

	From the kde control centre you can configure the kde login manager and
much else besides.  Some of the changes will not take effect unless you
restart your user session, or even possibly not until after rebooting
the computer.

	Finally, when all is done you can remove gdm, the
gnome-desktop-environment and other gnome packages as well.

				Ken Heard
				Toronto, Canada