Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove

Ron Johnson wrote:
> *Solving* the corrupted-mbox problem means moving to Maildir (or,
> less popularly, mh) storage.

     Which is not a panacea.  All it does is introduce a different set of
problems.  ~20,000 individual files in a directory may be more resilient
against corruption part way through and faster on some operations but trust
me, 20,000 open/read/close calls is noticeably slower than 1 and just with
many reads.  This doesn't even get into the issue of lost disc space nor the
problem of inodes if on an ext2/3 system.

    And before we get into this again I only have to ask one question.  If a
single file is such a bad thing why is it MySQL (and other) databases don't
store records per file but, instead, per table?  You'd think the corruption
problem would be just as bad for them.  And yet companies around the world
routinely store immense amount of data in monolithic files without much
concern.  Far more than the piddly amount of mail any individual on here would
worry about.

Pardon duplicate, hit reply-to-all, trimmed wrong address.