Re: Stupid Noob Question: Surfing the 'Testing' edge

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:15:25AM -0500, Grok Mogger wrote:
Wait, so stable only gets security updates? What if there's a bug in a package, will it get a fix? And I guess just to finish off my questionnaire, do packages in stable ever get upgrades for additional functionality?

Stable is never upgraded for additional functionality.

Only incredibly sever bugs are fixed in stable.  It requires lots of
coordination and convincing the stable release manager that it is
necessary.  The philosophy of Debian's stable release policy is that the
behavior of a stable release should never change.  That is why security
updates are always done by backporting the required fix into the stable
version of the package instead of just upgrading to a new upstream.

If stable only gets security updates, then I find it rather funny that I know someone running a Debian system with a custom perl script designed to get only security updates via apt-get. Was this script a total waste of his time?

Not sure.  Depends what it does.

Regards,

-Roberto

Cool, thanks for the info everyone.  =)