Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:33:04AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 10:44 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > I mean, people often complain about the lack of uniformity in GUI
> > programs targetted at Linux.  Windows is just as bad, but people
> > choose to overlook it for some reason or another.  Then there is the
> > fact that Windows does not include any of the following in a base
> > install:
> >
> >  * a decent shell
> >  * ssh/sftp client
> >  * a decent scripting language
> >
> > Those three things make it so that I will end up taking two or three
> > times as long as I should to do some basic task.
>
> Install Cygwin, its the only way to semi-fix it.

I wish.  Where I am doing work now, the Windows machines have
Hummingbird installed, which can be used to bring up an xterm on a
Solaris server (via telnet of course).  Naturally, they go nuts when you
forget to turn the telnetd off on a new install of RHEL :-)

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez