Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove

On Monday 12 February 2007 14:33, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 09:50:18PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > > On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 02:30:33PM +0000, Virgo Pärna wrote:
> > > I think I'll side with the people who think this obscure use of the
> > > word "compact" is a bug in IceDove (and just continue using mutt).
> >
> >     You mean the people who are oblivious to the fact that compact, as
> > you described it, has been in that usage for decades when referring to
> > databases and your IMAP mail store is a database?  Ooooh, chilling,
> > innit?
>
> Serious? Scraping the barrel there mate. ROFLOL

No, really, you should listen to Steve.

"Compact", in that sense, refering to expunging deleted messages from an
mbox or other mail store, has been *the* common word for that action for
literally decades, predating even the popular internet (e.g. in the days of
BBS, Fidonet, etc). It's was used even far before that in other database
and database-like applications.

Asking MUAs to use a different, more descriptive word is perhaps a fine
request, but claiming that this use is "obscure" when it has been the
canonical term for this operation for a *very long time* just makes you
seem ill-informed.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>