Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Sunday 11 February 2007 11:41, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:06:15 -0500
>
> Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks, I'll check the archives because I searched for it on
> > > mozilla and couldn't find it.
> > >
> > > To be honest I would prefer switching to Kmail because it
> > > integrates much better to KDE, and it is a good client, but I
> > > can't do that because my mail has to be accessible from Windows,
> > > that my wife insists that I keep on this PC.
> > >
> > > She gets mail too, and says that she has to have windows for her
> > > school.  I told her about Crossover Office, but she says "Why
> > > should we buy something so I we can run MS Office on Linux when
> > > it runs fine under Windows".  Maybe I'll play with wine and get
> > > her apps working. I have yet to spend the time.  She says
> > > OpenOffice isn't good enough, because it can't read the .doc
> > > files reliably (thanks to the proprietary nature of the .doc
> > > files).
>
> Where/how is the mail stored? maybe kmail can be configured to work
> with whatever option you want ...
>
> > If Office is the issue, and not Windows overall, then why should
> > she buy office when she can use OpenOffice for free and it will
> > read and write all MS Office files?
>
> You did read the line above that she says that openoffice isn't good
> enough for here?

I thought I had read it clearly, but I must have missed that part.  I
don't know how.  Maybe I tune it out because I've dealt with too many
people that look at OOo, try it for 2 minutes, say, "It won't work,"
and then I ask them to show me how to do a few things in Office and
realize they really don't even have much of a clue with Office.  With
OOo 2.x, there's really no reason to stick with Office any longer
unless the PHB orders it.

> Personally I am a bigger fan of openoffice but it does have problems
> with properly formatting word documents.

I've never really had a problem with that.  Are you dealing with
specific or unusual formatting?

Hal