Re: Laptop Recommendations? Thinkpad

I am just documenting this for the mail archive.

On 2007-02-02T09:56:45+0100, Bruno.Voigt@ic3s.de wrote:
> I installed Debian/unstable on a new Thinkpad Z61p.  Unfortunately my
> usual procedure using netboot Debian-NetInstaller didn't work, because
> it didnt liked the Broadcom TG3 ethernet.

http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ethernet_Controllers#Broadcom_Gigabit_.2810.2F100.2F1000.29
has some dirt on that.  rmmod was not availble, so I skipped network
configuration and whatever else required network access.  Rebooted into
newly installed system and found that tg3 drver was now working.

Added the following to /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and did:

# ifdown eth0
# ifup eth0

then manually configured /etc/apt/sources.list and I was in business.

/Allan