Re: Laptop Recommendations?

On Thu February 1 2007 08:31, Tim Wescott wrote:
> I need a new laptop, and if possible I want to get one without paying
> for Windows.
>
> After looking around the web and asking locally, I've found two sources
> of laptops that come new with Linux loaded.  One is Linux Certified, the
> other Emperor Linux.  Linux Certified has name-brand laptops (Lenovo) at
> very attractive prices.  Emperor Linux has rebranded laptops at premium
> prices, but they come very highly recommended.

I must have a look and see what those are all about.

> Does anyone have any mileage with either of these vendors?
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on a distro to use?  I've got Etch
> on this machine, and I'm mostly happy with it.  At this point I'd like
> to stick with something that has similar administration issues, but if
> there's a distro that's clearly better for laptops I'll go with that.
>
> Does anyone have any recent experience, either good or bad, with any
> specific laptops?  Should push come to shove I may just put the Fry's
> website up against the listings in linux-laptop.org and find a good
> match, but I'm enough of a newbie that I'd like to buy from someone
> who's put some effort into the selection, first.

I bought an hp pavilion second hand last year, not that I was really in the
market for a laptop but the price was right. The unit is 3 or 4 years old now
but still like new. It has an Athlon k7 running at 1.7 Ghz and 768 megs of
ram and an ati video card (previous owner was a gamer). It came with a
windows install disk but I immediately installed sarge on it and I haven't
looked back.

A little to the left  of where you were looking but that's my experience.. :)