Re: Laptop Recommendations?

On 01 Feb 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:12:20PM -0500, Rick Reynolds wrote:
> >  It's probably worth getting a
> > larger hard drive and keeping a Dell-supported OS on there as a dual
> > boot option just so you can verify that any problems you're having are
> > not hardware related.  But if you're more hardware savvy than I am, that
> > might not be an issue for you (this is my first laptop I've ever owned).
>
> how ironic is it that you have to keep around a notoriously unreliable
> operating system to prove to the manufacturer that their hardware is
> failing...

I've just acquired a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61M and am still in the process of
setting up Debian on it. It's a beautiful machine, if expensive. Last
time I bought a Thinkpad, about 2 years ago, I deleted all traces of
Windows. This time I decided to keep it, mainly because about once or
twice a year I need to test some Windows programme or other. The reason
quoted above is another which I hadn't thought of.

Keeping Windows was quite a struggle because I had difficulties
shrinking the partition (discussed elsewhere on this list). I finally
managed it after a day and a half. I nearly gave up but it did work in
the end.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian