Re: Very disturbing feature in icedove

On Saturday, 10.02.2007 at 09:10 -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 02:30:33PM +0000, Virgo Pärna wrote:
> >     To make Thunderbird/Icedove to really delete those messages you can use
> > File, Compact Folders and you can specify configuration option "Compact
> > folders when it will save over XXX kB" (you can also specify specific amount
> > of disk space).
>
> Oh, I see.  "Compact" means "really delete the messages that I said to
> delete, but are actually just marked as deleted, not physically deleted".
> How incredibly obvious.
>
> I think I'll side with the people who think this obscure use of the word
> "compact" is a bug in IceDove (and just continue using mutt).

Sounds to me like you should set your account settings as follows:

In 'Server Settings':

- When I delete a message: Remove it immediately

Note that if you do that, you will not get a second chance: it really
will delete it immediately.

A slightly more conservative approach, but still basically doing the
right thing as the OP asked:

- When I delete a message: Move it to the Deleted folder
- Also, switch on 'Empty Deleted folder on Exit'

This should do what you want.  The first of the above two options is a
default (I think), so you should only need to turn on the second.  It
may also help to turn on 'Expunge Inbox'.

I understand that these defaults might not be doing quite what you want,
but they're slightly 'safer' than immediately deleting everything
straight away.

Dave.

--
Please don't CC me on list messages!