Re: Detection of Hardware and Devices

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 14:10:34 +0000, john gennard wrote:

Michael Pobega wrote:

[...]

Have you tried Debian Etch? I know Debian Sarge is a bit older and has
much worse hardware detection than Etch. When I used Sarge nothing
worked for me, but an upgrade to Etch fixed everything. I'm not 100%
sure if just changing your sources.list and running # apt-get update &&
apt-get dist-upgrade would work though. I'd do a clean reinstall if
possible.

I've got Sarge working without problem on three other boxes, in
fact I maintain that Debian is the reason I never significantly
increase my technical knowledge - it never freeezes or even
breaks down so by the time a new release comes out I've long lost
what little knowledge I had acquired.

I had intended to go to Etch shortly (and by upgrade). I've plenty
of space on this hard disk, so I might as well install Etch from
scratch alongside Sarge and see if I get the success you did.

If you want a quick way to get an idea about the current kernel and your
hardware then you can paste your "lspci -n" output into the form on this
website:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

This will list the drivers which are known to work with your devices.

Many thanks. I've installed Etch and have things working now.
I'll go back over the problem using your link (just out of
general interest!), and retain it for possible future use.

John.