Detection of Hardware and Devices

I have a problem getting sound to work in a Sarge install,
which is the subject of another thread. Having little
technical savvy, I often find things confusing or impossible
to comprehend.

If possible, I'd like someone to help me here. Sarge gives
the problem and Kubuntu (Debian based) works fine.

When I run '#lspci' on each I get the following results:-

1. Debian:
	0000:80:01:0    0403 Via Technologies, Inc. :
		Unknown device 3288 (rev 10)

2. Kubuntu:
	80:01:0   Audio Device: Via Technologies, Inc.
		Via High Definition Audio Controller (rev 10)

Alsaconf doesn't 'see' the device in Sarge which could well
be my problem. Why, though, does 'lspci' give such differing
results - I assume each run gets its information from the
same source (the device/chip itself).

Furthermore, my Motherboard Manual says the Audio is 'Realtek
ALC888 7.1 Channel audio CODEC with High Definition audio'.
Have Via used a Realtek chip and 'bundled' it with something of
its own?

My main aim is to get audio to work without getting a separate
card, but I'd like to have some light shed on this confusion
(in my simple mind that is!).

John.