Re: Detection of Hardware and Devices

john gennard wrote:
> I have a problem getting sound to work in a Sarge install,
> which is the subject of another thread. Having little
> technical savvy, I often find things confusing or impossible
> to comprehend.
>
> If possible, I'd like someone to help me here. Sarge gives
> the problem and Kubuntu (Debian based) works fine.
>
> When I run '#lspci' on each I get the following results:-
>
> 1. Debian:
>     0000:80:01:0    0403 Via Technologies, Inc. :
>         Unknown device 3288 (rev 10)
>
> 2. Kubuntu:
>     80:01:0   Audio Device: Via Technologies, Inc.
>         Via High Definition Audio Controller (rev 10)
>
> Alsaconf doesn't 'see' the device in Sarge which could well
> be my problem. Why, though, does 'lspci' give such differing
> results - I assume each run gets its information from the
> same source (the device/chip itself).
>
> Furthermore, my Motherboard Manual says the Audio is 'Realtek
> ALC888 7.1 Channel audio CODEC with High Definition audio'.
> Have Via used a Realtek chip and 'bundled' it with something of
> its own?
>
> My main aim is to get audio to work without getting a separate
> card, but I'd like to have some light shed on this confusion
> (in my simple mind that is!).
>
> John.

Have you tried Debian Etch? I know Debian Sarge is a bit older and has
much worse hardware detection than Etch. When I used Sarge nothing
worked for me, but an upgrade to Etch fixed everything. I'm not 100%
sure if just changing your sources.list and running # apt-get update &&
apt-get dist-upgrade would work though. I'd do a clean reinstall if
possible.