Re: Bacula start up issue

Graham Smith wrote:
Hi,

I installed Bacula yesterday which was a painful experience because I mistakenly answered no when it asked me if I wanted to install the database. Anyway, I installed the database by hand, configured Bacula and went to fire it up.

Running "/etc/init.d/bacula-director start" gives me a pid file in /var/run/bacula for the director but a ps + grep for the process id turns up nothing. There are no error messages on start up and there is nothing in the syslog nor the /var/log/bacula directory. The process just seems to silently exit.

To confuse me further if I run "bacula-dir -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf" as root form a command prompt the director starts fine. If I add the "-u bacula -g bacula" arguments, as the init script does, then the director fails to start.

Any ideas what's going on?

Many thanks, Graham

Replying to my own post but hey....

I've figured out what the problem was. I had changed the working directory for the director and forgotten to give the baclua user write permission to it. It would have been nice if the director had died in a noisy way rather than silently though.

Graham