Re: How to switch to text mode

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:02:57 -0800
Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:

> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 08:18:26 -0800
> > Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:
> >

> >> LOL.  I suppose that's a solution.  However, I occasionally do
> >> some browsing when Googling answers to problems on those machines
> >> so being able to fire up the gui easily is sort of a must.
> >>

> > And what's wrong with startx?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
> >
> Who said there is anything wrong with it?  I didn't.  Like I said
> originally, I guess I just do things a little differently than most
> do.

There is more than one way to do it, of course :) I was merely
suggesting an alternative and just 'try startx' would have been too
"dry" (at the moment I can't think of a better word in English).

Here's another option also relevant for your initial query. Delete the
symlink for gdm, but only from runlevel 2. If you want gui then just do
'init 3'.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)