Bacula start up issue

Hi,

I installed Bacula yesterday which was a painful experience because I mistakenly answered no when it asked me if I wanted to install the database. Anyway, I installed the database by hand, configured Bacula and went to fire it up.

Running "/etc/init.d/bacula-director start" gives me a pid file in /var/run/bacula for the director but a ps + grep for the process id turns up nothing. There are no error messages on start up and there is nothing in the syslog nor the /var/log/bacula directory. The process just seems to silently exit.

To confuse me further if I run "bacula-dir -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf" as root form a command prompt the director starts fine. If I add the "-u bacula -g bacula" arguments, as the init script does, then the director fails to start.

Any ideas what's going on?

Many thanks, Graham