Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 05:08:06PM +0100 or thereabouts, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Hello Stephen.
>
> Stephen, 07.02.2007 15:21:
> > On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 12:09:33PM +0100 or thereabouts, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> >> Stephen, 07.02.2007 03:45:

> > ? It requires more than Enigmail.
>
> No, Enigmail is one of the extension which enables this extension. (Although I
> never tried using it without Enigmail. As I said, I had this one installed much
> earlier.)

I suggest you read Bugzilla and read the history of the extension you're
using. I recall at the time it was first introduced that one needed at
least two extensions and a 'patched' version of T-Bird. I have been
following this on Bugzilla since the inception of the bug filed against
T-Bird. So trust me I know this. ;)

The extension I recommend requires neither of the two qualifications. So
it's a better extension for people that are using a vanilla T-Bird, and
wish to keep it that way.

> >> Sounds not that promising:
> >
> > Why is that ? I don't think you understood what the URL above says.
>
> I did, but I maybe did put it in confusing words.
>
> >> I prefer my variant without additional hacks.
> >
> > I think something is missing during translation here. The extension I
> > recommended *doesn't* require any additional hacks
>
> No, it *is* one.

To be precise, the extension that is newer of the Reply to List
extensions, requires NO hacks. Yours does and was never considered to be
a well written extension. Again to get the sense of this you might want
to read the entire discussion on Bugzilla.

> > -- Whereas the one
> > you're using does.
>
> Absolutely right. (As I see it now and you suggested: misunderstanding.)
>
> > I recommended the newer one, simply because most
> > people didn't like the one you're using, as it needed other extensions
> > installed to work. All you have to do is read the comments on Bugzilla
> > to understand what I'm talking about.
>
> Believe me, I read them. All of them.
>
> > For that reason alone, I would recommend that you refer people to the
> > new one.
>
> I’ll give both. Since Thunderbird/Icedove users on Debian will have the patch
> included anyway, the might be interested in the old extension.

If you're using any Mozilla derivative with Debian, you can't do better than using
the upstream releases in my opinion. Debian tends NOT to have the latest
of those applications.

> >> I do that within Opera. If it just would be able to organize feeds into
> >> subdirectories, it would be perfect.
> >
> > Incidentally if you're already using T-Bird for e-mail, why wouldn't you
> > use it to read RSS?
>
> I did use Opera much more earlier than Thunderbird. In the beginning I was
> satisfied with Webmail (GMX) but after some time I tried Thunderbird and it was
> rather nice. So today I do all my email stuff with it.
>
> > seems strange that a browser would be used. XML/RSS
> > feeds are better in my opinion when read like e-mail.
>
> Well, Opera displays them like emails. Its newsfeed functionality is part of its
> mail module M2.

Yeah well Opera does e-mail to. So why use T-Bird at all then? Just
asking, but it does seem little redundant.  So you're using two
applications when you could use just one. OK like I said, whatever
floats yer boat. ;)

> > Especially with
> > the frequency that most RSS feeds are updated.
>
> Yep, I check them every 3 hours. Works rather good if only I hadn’t so much of
> them. The check is pretty consuming …

Of course since you're using T-Bird for e-mail, it would check the RSS
feeds at the same time it polls for e-mail. <sigh> I really wish I could
use mutt though. ;)

For example I use CraigsList for employment opportunities, and it
conveniently gives me the option of reading these opportunities via
RSS. I can't imagine using a browser for that, after having using T-Bird
pull in new opportunities via RSS every 10 minutes. It grows on you
after awhile.

> > To each their own
> > I guess.
>
> It’s freedom of choice after all.

Indeed.

--
Regards
Stephen A.

Encrypted/Signed e-mail accepted (GPG or PGP) -- Key ID: 978BA045
AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
	FEAR! FIRE! FOES!
		AWAKE! AWAKE!
		-- J. R. R. Tolkien