Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

Hello Stephen.

Stephen, 07.02.2007 15:21:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 12:09:33PM +0100 or thereabouts, Mathias Brodala wrote:
>> Stephen, 07.02.2007 03:45:

>>> Speaking of which, I noticed on Bugzilla last week, that someone had made the
>>> 'reply to list extension' for T-Bird that doesn't require the use of other
>>> extensions <ie> Meneghy  (sp?).
>> Since I had Enigmail installed anyway, I had all I need for using this extension.
>
> ? It requires more than Enigmail.

No, Enigmail is one of the extension which enables this extension. (Although I
never tried using it without Enigmail. As I said, I had this one installed much
earlier.)

>>> About time. The old extension of which you speak, required other extensions
>>> to be installed in order to work.
>>> <http://cweiske.de/misc_extensions.htm#replyToList>
>> Sounds not that promising:
>
> Why is that ? I don't think you understood what the URL above says.

I did, but I maybe did put it in confusing words.

>> I prefer my variant without additional hacks.
>
> I think something is missing during translation here. The extension I
> recommended *doesn't* require any additional hacks

No, it *is* one.

> -- Whereas the one
> you're using does.

Absolutely right. (As I see it now and you suggested: misunderstanding.)

> I recommended the newer one, simply because most
> people didn't like the one you're using, as it needed other extensions
> installed to work. All you have to do is read the comments on Bugzilla
> to understand what I'm talking about.

Believe me, I read them. All of them.

> For that reason alone, I would recommend that you refer people to the
> new one.

I’ll give both. Since Thunderbird/Icedove users on Debian will have the patch
included anyway, the might be interested in the old extension.

>>> The only thing I use Thunderbird for these days is reading RSS feeds, which
>>> it's quite good at.
>> I do that within Opera. If it just would be able to organize feeds into
>> subdirectories, it would be perfect.
>
> Incidentally if you're already using T-Bird for e-mail, why wouldn't you
> use it to read RSS?

I did use Opera much more earlier than Thunderbird. In the beginning I was
satisfied with Webmail (GMX) but after some time I tried Thunderbird and it was
rather nice. So today I do all my email stuff with it.

> seems strange that a browser would be used. XML/RSS
> feeds are better in my opinion when read like e-mail.

Well, Opera displays them like emails. Its newsfeed functionality is part of its
mail module M2.

> Especially with
> the frequency that most RSS feeds are updated.

Yep, I check them every 3 hours. Works rather good if only I hadn’t so much of
them. The check is pretty consuming …

> To each their own
> I guess.

It’s freedom of choice after all.