Re: Sound on Sarge r4 - Realtek ALC888 chip

Bruno Buys wrote:
john gennard wrote:

I've just made a new install of Sarge's latest release and
its updates.

I'm very weak with sound. The M/Board has onboard sound
(a Realtek ALC888 chip) and I was hoping to use Alsa for
the first time. There's virtually nothing on the 'net about
this chip and literally nothing that helps me.

Does anyone know the driver/s required?

I've installed Kubuntu alongside Sarge and it (Kubuntu)
automatically provides working sound on install. However,
I can't see how it achieves this.

The Motherboard incidentally is an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA.

John.

alsa sees my alc658D from via without problem. Did you try 'alsaconf'?

I haven't used Alsa before and haven't found any really helpful
write ups. Yes, I have tried alsaconf but it doesn't help - just
says 'no Pnp or Pci cards found' and continues to look for legacy
etc also without result.

If I run 'lspci' (blundering in the dark!), there are lots of 'unknown devices' so the sound chip could be any one. In fact the
only two items I recognize are the ethernet controller and the
Graphics card.

What do you mean when you say your card is seen 'from via'?