Re: Sound on Sarge r4 - Realtek ALC888 chip

On 07 Feb 2007, john gennard wrote:
> Bruno Buys wrote:
> >john gennard wrote:
> >
> >>I've just made a new install of Sarge's latest release and
> >>its updates.
> >>
> >>I'm very weak with sound. The M/Board has onboard sound
> >>(a Realtek ALC888 chip) and I was hoping to use Alsa for
> >>the first time. There's virtually nothing on the 'net about
> >>this chip and literally nothing that helps me.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know the driver/s required?
> >>
> >>I've installed Kubuntu alongside Sarge and it (Kubuntu)
> >>automatically provides working sound on install. However,
> >>I can't see how it achieves this.
> >>
> >>The Motherboard incidentally is an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA.
> >>
> >>John.
> >>
> >alsa sees my alc658D from via without problem. Did you try 'alsaconf'?
> >
> I haven't used Alsa before and haven't found any really helpful
> write ups. Yes, I have tried alsaconf but it doesn't help - just
> says 'no Pnp or Pci cards found' and continues to look for legacy
> etc also without result.
>
> If I run 'lspci' (blundering in the dark!), there are lots of
> 'unknown devices' so the sound chip could be any one. In fact the
> only two items I recognize are the ethernet controller and the
> Graphics card.
>
> What do you mean when you say your card is seen 'from via'?

Just came to this thread rather late. My experience with sound has been
exactly the same as the OP's. I spent two days wrestling with Alsa to
try to get sound working on my new Thinkpad Z61M, but in spite of much
help on this list and elsewhere I couldn't get a peep out of it. I then
tried Ubuntu and it worked instantly. And, as a bonus, the wireless
connection came up as well, which it refused to do with Debian (Sid).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian