Re: Removing desktop environments

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 08:24:46AM EST, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:04:45PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
>
> > Is there any way I can have debian help me figure out if there is stuff
> > that should be removed such as libraries that nothing uses -- naturally
> > I did not remove a single library myself.
> >

> Wow.  I've read all the gawking you've tried.  Wouldn't it be easier to
> get the aptitude manual and learn how to use the interactive aptitude?

Matter of taste.

aptitude is nice of course, but you _are_ adding an extra layer and this
makes things more complicated, hence less secure.. more likely to cause
failures .. etc.

Same old no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunch issue where what you gain in
terms of usability .. convenience .. and whatnot .. you lose in terms
of control over the system .. reliability .. plain old "knowing exactly
what you are doing" .. etc.

> Once you have gone down the list of installed packages and told it which
> ones _you_ want and told it to manage everything else, you'll never have
> to worry about it again.
>
> As far as /usr/share/doc if you are _really_ short on disk space,

In _my_ case it's really a question of "small is beautiful".  Also, I'd
like my system to be < 1G so that a compressed full-backup fits on a
CD-R and runs under an hour on this ancient laptop of mine.

Heck, I practically use nothing but text-mode apps these days (as
opposed to GUIs) and everything should fit in much less than that.

:-)

But as I mentioned elsewhere, it's also because I just have too much
stuff I have never used and will never use on this laptop and it's
started to bother me..

> you could burn it to a CD, then remove the _contents_ of each
> directory (or at least the large files that concern you).  Then
> upgrades will still put the stuff there and you can burn a supplement
> CD periodically.

That's why I suggested it would be nice if the debian packaging system
had some kind of mechanism where stuff you haven't used or looked at
for a customizable length of time were migrated to removable media.

Just a thought .. and thanks for your comments.

Thanks,

cga.