Re: debian/unstable+KDE: screensaver/lock session not working

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 16:03:21 +0100, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Florian Kulzer schrieb am 05.02.2007 14:39:10:

[...]

> > I don't know all the details, but I know that you should be able to lock
> > the screen under KDE with the following command:
> >
> > dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock
> >
> > Maybe that will give you a helpful error message if it does not work;
> > also check ~/.xession-errors for anything related to the screensaver.
>
> the above dcop invocation just returns immediately without output.
> No output in .xsession-errors

What happens if you run "dcop kdesktop"? You should get a list of the
available DCOP functions. Is anything included that looks like it is
screensaver-related?

[...]

> > If all else fails you can create a new user and test if that user can
> > lock the screen normally. That will at least tell you if you have a
> > system-wide problem or one related to your regular user's configuration.
>
> Lock Session doesn't work for a new user either.
>
> So what global config shall I check next?

If you try to run the following command

/usr/bin/kdesktop_lock --forcelock

are there any errors?

Which version of the "kdesktop" package is installed on your system?

You could try to purge kdesktop and reinstall it. You will probably need
"dpkg --force-depends -P kdesktop" to remove it. Then you can run
"apt-get install kdesktop" to get clean versions of all config files.
(Of course you can also use aptitude to reinstall or run "dpkg -i" with
the newest kdesktop<...>.deb package in /var/cache/apt/archives/.)

--
Regards,
          Florian