Re: debian/unstable+KDE: screensaver/lock session not working

Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> schrieb am 05.02.2007
14:39:10:

> AFAIK, KDE does not use xscreensaver but provides its own screensaver
> (and locking) functionality as a part of the "kdesktop" process (which
> is normally started by kdeinit).
>
> You can check if kdesktop is running with "ps -ef | grep [k]desktop".
> You should see the process listed as "kdesktop [kdeinit]". (It is very
> unlikely that kdesktop is not running when you have a KDE session, but
> it does not hurt to check.)

yes kdesktop [kdeinit] is there.

> > How do the different components interact?
> > How can I trace its execution path and check if everything is in
place?

> I don't know all the details, but I know that you should be able to lock
> the screen under KDE with the following command:
>
> dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock
>
> Maybe that will give you a helpful error message if it does not work;
> also check ~/.xession-errors for anything related to the screensaver.

the above dcop invocation just returns immediately without output.
No output in .xsession-errors

> > What config files are used?
>
> ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
>
> This configuration works for me:
> $ awk '/\[ScreenSaver\]/,/^$/' ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
> [ScreenSaver]
> DPMS-dependent=false
> Enabled=true
> Lock=true
> LockGrace=60000
> Saver=KRandom.desktop
> Timeout=300

I adjusted the section in my file to be the same.
It doesn't help.

> If all else fails you can create a new user and test if that user can
> lock the screen normally. That will at least tell you if you have a
> system-wide problem or one related to your regular user's configuration.

Lock Session doesn't work for a new user either.

So what global config shall I check next?

TIA,
Bruno