Re: debian/unstable+KDE: screensaver/lock session not working

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 12:58:52 +0100, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a debian/unstable box running KDE which gets nearly daily patched.
> For some months ago the screensaver and KDE kicker lock session button
> stopped working.
>
> manual starting of xscreensaver & running xscreensaver-command -lock
> works.
>
> How does the kdscreensaver & session lock mechanism work in detail?

AFAIK, KDE does not use xscreensaver but provides its own screensaver
(and locking) functionality as a part of the "kdesktop" process (which
is normally started by kdeinit).

You can check if kdesktop is running with "ps -ef | grep [k]desktop".
You should see the process listed as "kdesktop [kdeinit]". (It is very
unlikely that kdesktop is not running when you have a KDE session, but
it does not hurt to check.)

> How do teh different components interact?
> How can I trace its execution path and check if everything is in place?

I don't know all the details, but I know that you should be able to lock
the screen under KDE with the following command:

dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock

Maybe that will give you a helpful error message if it does not work;
also check ~/.xession-errors for anything related to the screensaver.

> What config files are used?

~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc

This configuration works for me:

$ awk '/\[ScreenSaver\]/,/^$/' ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
[ScreenSaver]
DPMS-dependent=false
Enabled=true
Lock=true
LockGrace=60000
Saver=KRandom.desktop
Timeout=300

(You can run the same "awk ..." command to see the relevant part of your
 own configuration.)

You can change these settings in the KDE control center ("Appearance &
Themes > Screen Saver").

> Purging and reinstalling these packages didn't help:
>
> ii  kscreensaver                                 3.5.5-1  additional
> screen savers released with KDE
> ii  kscreensaver-xsavers                         3.5.5-1            KDE
> hooks for standard xscreensavers
> ii  xscreensaver                                 4.24-5  Automatic
> screensaver for X
> ii  xscreensaver-gl                              4.24-5  GL(Mesa) screen
> hacks for xscreensaver

I have the same packages installed. (I am currently on KDE 3.5.6 from
experimental, but I never had any problems with version 3.5.5-1 either.)

If all else fails you can create a new user and test if that user can
lock the screen normally. That will at least tell you if you have a
system-wide problem or one related to your regular user's configuration.

--
Regards,
          Florian