Re: No sound in Thinkpad Z61M after configuring ALSA -RESOLVED

On 05 Feb 2007, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 04:48:00PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Just to round off this saga for anyone who's been following it: I tried
> > Ubuntu and what do you know: sound works! As an added bonus, so does the
> > built-in wireless. So I shall have to install Ubuntu (well, at least is
> > is more or less Debian ...)
>
> There should be a way of finding out what the difference is which causes
> it to work. Built-in wireless doesn't work on Debian? Is there a clue in
> the config files (whatever they may be...)?
>
> A writeup on how to use a working distro to configure a non working
> distro would be good.

That would be nice.

When I was doing the Debian installation via the netinst CD (latest
version, 3.1.r4) it tried, but failed, to connect to the internet via
the wireless link. I had to use a pcmcia card for a link.

I must say that I'd been a bit dismissive of Ubuntu previously,
supposing it was a prettified version of Debian for refugees from
Windows. Now that I've actually used it I find it a lot better than
that. In fact, I've managed to configure it so that it more or less
works like Debian (using Mutt instead of Evolution, Wajig instead of
Synaptic, my favourite Icewm, etc.).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian