Re: No sound in Thinkpad Z61M after configuring ALSA

On Friday 02 February 2007 18:32, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 02 Feb 2007, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > > Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.12rc1 emulation code)
> > > Kernel: Linux ithaca 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Wed Jan 24 22:40:22 UTC 2007
> > > i686 Config options: 0
> > >
> > > Installed drivers:
> > > Type 10: ALSA emulation
> > >
> > > Card config:
> > > HDA Intel at 0xee400000 irq 66
> > >
> > > Audio devices:
> > > 0: AD198x Analog (DUPLEX)
> > >
> > > Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
> > >
> > > Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
> > >
> > > Timers:
> > > 7: system timer
> > >
> > > Mixers:
> > > 0: Analog Devices AD1981

> > > snd_hda_intel          17332  0
> > > snd_hda_codec         137856  1 snd_hda_intel
> > > snd_pcm_oss            38368  0
> > > snd_mixer_oss          15200  1 snd_pcm_oss
> > > snd_pcm                68676  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> > > snd_timer              20996  1 snd_pcm
> > > snd                    47012  6
> > > snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> > > soundcore               9248  1 snd
> > > snd_page_alloc          9640  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> >
> > Hmm, that all seems to be OK as far as I can tell.
> >
> > I remember a while ago somebody had problems with sound and it turned
> > out that they had to mute the headphones output before they would get
> > anything on the normal speaker output. I do not recall anymore if that
> > was in fact related to an Intel card or not, but it is a quick thing to
> > try.
> >
> > By the way, how did you test the sound, with a basic command like
> > "speaker-test" or with some more advanced program?
>
> I tried with saytime, realplayer, and connecting to the BBC and using
> their player.
>
> I was not familiar with speaker-test; I just ran it and it gives pages
> and pages of error, so something is wrong!
>
> I'm even thinking of giving up in despair and trying Ubuntu!
>
> Anthony

It's nothing to do with Debian, I'ts the darned HDA Intel soundcard. I've been
seeing so many complaints about it on the Alsa-user list that I've lost
count. The card basically is a cheapo, and there are many variations of it,
although when it does work it probably works acceptably on Linux.

There are some options you can set, which may or may not work when loading the
driver for it.

It may be worth looking at the archives for the alsa-user list, or posting to
the list.

Archives are at:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user

To post to the list, and you need to be subscribed.
alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net

See: