Re: old hardware, newer Debian

Mike McClain wrote:
I just installed sarge on a box I've happily been running woody on for 5 years and find I can't run X cause the Trident tvga 9800b chipset is no longer supported in the xserver-xfree86 v4.3. Any body got any idea what risks I'd run to install woody X stuff on sarge or is there a better way?
TIA,
Mike

Etch is very nearly the new stable and uses xorg instead of xfree86. There is a package in Etch that seems to meet your needs (search for "trident" in "testing" at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages):

   X.Org X server -- Trident display driver
This package provides the driver for Trident Blade/Image/ProVidia/TGUI/9xxx video cards.

Perhaps you should go with Etch?

--
Chris.