Re: Best way to shrink Windows on new laptop?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 04:15:25PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2007, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> I failed to resize the Windows partition (Windows XP) with both the
> Debian installer disk and qparted. They appeared to work but at the end
> the partition was still the same size.

what exactly did it say? I've done this twice now very recently (using
both sarge and etch installers) with 0 problems. It resized the
partition smooth as could be (though it takes a while). It used to be
that there were parts of the fs that were not moveable (swap files,
essentially) and you had to turn off windows virtual memory and maybe
do a defrag to get it to work, but I think those issues are all solved
now.

As I remember the process, you select the ntfs partition, resize it
(it will prompt you with the minimum size), wait wait wait, and then
you are presented with a new partitioning screen with lovely free
space. How did your experience differ?