Re: Best way to shrink Windows on new laptop?

Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 31 Jan 2007, Anthony Campbell wrote:

I failed to resize the Windows partition (Windows XP) with both the
Debian installer disk and qparted. They appeared to work but at the end
the partition was still the same size.

I recently did this on a new dell laptop, but used Knoppix from the CLI. ntfsresize resized the file system then cfdisk to delete the partition and recreate it at the same starting point, but with the revised size. I think this is what the d-i and qparted use, but this method worked for me and you can see what is happening. Maybe they resized the file system but not the partition?

If I delete the partition and then make a new one (HPFS/NTFS with
cfdisk, will I be able to install Windows from the backup sector of the
hard disk?  I know nothing about Windows so I don't have any idea if I
can do that.
Possibly, depends on how you get there, i.e. BIOS or MBR, the MBR may well get overwritten and you could be left without the rescue option.

Anthony
HTH

Wackojacko