Re: Can't post to list with mutt/exim4?!

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:10:49PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:02:47 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > I went the headers-rewrite route with exim/mutt for a while and just
> > go myself into more trouble. IIRC, the thing to do is set all your
> > headers and envelope headers in mutt and then allow
> > local_sender_retain and put yourself in trusted_users
> >
> > local_sender_retain = true
> > trusted_users = <your name here>
> >
> > there are surely better ways to do this, or at least more maintainable
> > ways, but it works for me by allowing local smtp connections (like
> > from mutt) to retain their headers without exim tacking on local
> > addresses and such. There will still be evidence of the local machine
> > (just look at my headers), but the froms, env froms etc are all set by
> > mutt.
>
> The advantage of doing the rewrite in the MTA is that you don't need to
> configure each MUA separately (I use Sylpheed-Claws-GTK2 and have
> muttng as backup).

that makes sense, though I could never get it right. Haven't tried in
a while though. Meanwhile, ISTM that many of the popular GUI MUA's
have a setup that makes it trivial for the user to set the from
address etc that they would like seen by the outside world. And I
imagine that would be the default behaviour of many people setting up
an MUA for the first time. The result is the MUA is spitting out
emails with a from "Me@myisp.com" instead of
"me@mydebianbox.fakedomain.tld" needing rewrite in the MTA to
"me@myisp.com". Of course all my experience is in a smarthost type of
arrangement with a very limited home network behind the local MTA that
connects to those smarthosts.