Re: Can't post to list with mutt/exim4?!

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 02:24:16PM +0100, Marcus Blumhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 02:37:38PM -0500, Stephen wrote:
> > Yes, I think you're headed in the wrong direction. I never had to do any of the
> > things in your checklist. As the previous responder suggested, make sure that
> > mutt is sending out correctly to any e-mail address. I think once mutt sends
> > out correctly, then add yourself to the debian whitelist as suggested, should
> > be all that's required to send to the list successfully.
>
> It really was the wrong direction. It was a misconfigured
> headers_rewrite rule.
>
> Anyway, now my exim setup was cleaned up by the way, since many
> local parts of the headers got removed.

I went the headers-rewrite route with exim/mutt for a while and just
go myself into more trouble. IIRC, the thing to do is set all your
headers and envelope headers in mutt and then allow
local_sender_retain and put yourself in trusted_users

local_sender_retain = true
trusted_users = <your name here>

there are surely better ways to do this, or at least more maintainable
ways, but it works for me by allowing local smtp connections (like
from mutt) to retain their headers without exim tacking on local
addresses and such. There will still be evidence of the local machine
(just look at my headers), but the froms, env froms etc are all set by
mutt.

hth