Re: spamassassin running as 'nobody' causes problems

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 17:24 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:18:17PM -0800, Raquel wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:06:18 -0800
> > Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >
> > > howdy folks.
> > >
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > As I understand it, and frmo a little google, spamd changes its
> > > uid to 'nobody' when it get a message to scan. This causes a
> > > problem as it tries to update the AWL and bayes database files in
> > > its $HOME with is nonexistent. One recommendation I found was to
> > > change the user for spamd from nobody to spamd, and create that
> > > user for just this purpose. This seems fine, but I don't like to
> > > migrate too far from default configs. Any other suggestions? is
> > > there something simple I'm missing here? (probably). is this new
> > > user, spamd, the way to go or should I be tweaking some other conf
> > > to make this work.
> > >
> > > thanks

> > I run Sendmail and procmail, along with SpamAssassin.  In
> > /etc/procmailrc I use:
> >
> > # Send through SpamAssassin
> > DROPPRIVS=yes
> > :0fw
> > * < 256000
> > | /usr/bin/spamc
>
> yeah, I've seen this solution too, but I'm running SA through exim's
> ACL's and not through procmail. I leave it to my users to determine
> what they do with their spam, I just mark it up before delivery.

I am running SA using SA-Exim at SMTP time. This then rejects the mail
before it is accepted, if it doesn't do RFC822 properly.

Yeah, I know this is against the RFC, but it has reduced the processing
on my machine by magnitudes. If they really want to send it to me,
they'll do it the right way.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup