Re: spamassassin running as 'nobody' causes problems

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:21:12PM -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Monday 29 January 2007 17:06, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > As I understand it, and frmo a little google, spamd changes its uid to
> > 'nobody' when it get a message to scan. This causes a problem as it
> > tries to update the AWL and bayes database files in its $HOME with is
> > nonexistent. One recommendation I found was to change the user for
> > spamd from nobody to spamd, and create that user for just this
> > purpose. This seems fine, but I don't like to migrate too far from
> > default configs. Any other suggestions? is there something simple I'm
> > missing here? (probably). is this new user, spamd, the way to go or
> > should I be tweaking some other conf to make this work.
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> We run spamassassin out of procmail during delivery.  This allows
> each user to own and tweak their own spamfilter settings.  We still
> use smtpd_sender_restrictions etc in postfix to keep the worst of
> the spam from entering the server (mostly based on lack of reverse
> DNS) but we don't do content scanning or RBL lookups until
> spamassassin runs out of procmail during local delivery.

this is essentially what raquel (?) suggested too. I may end up going
this route, but my new users are totally technically non-savvy. I'd
like to have their mail hit procmail having already been through SA
once. Then their local procmail rules only have to d one thing: file
it in spam or not. maybe I'm going about this the wrong way though. As
I said elsewhere, I'm using SA through exim's ACL's and it does work
great, but I'd like site-wide bayesian filtering to work as well, and
as far as I can tell, due to the errors I'm getting, its not.

still grepping docs ;)