Re: Small Network Setup with Debian Router

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:25:18 +0100
Peter Teunissen <lists@onemanifest.net> wrote:

> Best would be to have another NIC on the router for the WAP (or use
> a PCI WLAN card), so you can have stricter rules in the FW for
> wireless clients. For instance, allow only certain (DHCP per mac
> address assigned) IP's to access the LAN from the WLAN and let others
> only access the WAN. WLAN in inherently less secure than wired
> networking, so it'd be nice to keep them separated.

I would second this suggestion. I have my Debian firewall (Sarge using
the Shorewall package) configured this way and it has not caused me any
problems. It allows me to open my wireless access for guests without
exposing my wired file and print server for public access.
--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com