X crashes randomly

Since the last 2 weeks approximately, I'm experiencing crashes in graphical display: I can move the mouse pointer but clicking on anything has no effect, or has a strange effect, e.g. clicking on an icon in the toolbar will bring up a completely unrelated window. If I close X with ctrl-alt-backspace this brings me back to the gdm login screen, but logging in brings me back to the display as dysfunctional as before.

This seems to happen more when I have a lot of windows open / applications running, but I can not discern a clear pattern. I have lots of RAM (1 Gb) and top nevers shows any intense use of cpu or memory when crashes happen. Actually there have been no crashes during more cpu-intense activities such as compiling a sizeable java program. The log for X or syslog does not show anything suspicious.

I'm at a lost since I have no idea where the problem is originating. Could someone please help or suggest directions or what relevant information I could post?

I'm running:
- etch, updated every day or every couple of days
- gdm
- icewm-experimental

Last time the crash happened I was running:
- icedove
- iceweasel
- eclipse
- jEdit