Re: Small Network Setup with Debian Router

Hi,
I plan to set up a home network, a little bit more than a DSL-router-box
with the PC's connected to it. I could do so, but for reasons of fun
(hobby), the learning aspect and be in touch with future technologies, I
want to do it more flexible and controllable.

This is my plan:

                     [WiFi Access Point]

                                     |      PC3   PC2    PC1   LAPTOP
                                     |        |     |     |       |
                                    [-------Switch--------------------]

                                                      | NIC 1

                                            [Debian Router]

                                                 | NIC 2

                                             [DSL-Modem]

                                            outside(WAN)

All network interfaces should be Gigabit-interfaces.

So, my questions are:

1. Is this network setup realisable?

I did this when I had dialup; the Debian box would dial the ISP, other
boxes would connect to the Debian box via a switch, and the Debian box
would do port forwarding / NAT, making it a simple router.

2. Is it correct to place the WiFi Access Point connected to the switch,
or better directly to the Debian Router?

My wireless AP was part of my switch (I wasn't using the switch as a
router, although it had that capability). I don't know which way would
be better in your situation.

Celejar