Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 10:29:57PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061205 Iceweasel/2.0.0.1 (Debian-2.0.0.1+dfsg-2)
>
> Wow, that's a bigg'un. The User agent string has only had one thing
> changed.
>
> s/Iceweasel/Firefox/

My mistake.  I took it that the string went from only "Firefox/2.0.0.1"
to "Iceweasel/2.0.0.1".

> Now, if you are programming for Standards... That wouldn't matter.

True, plenty of "IE-based" browsers do something similar.

> When you don't and program for only Internet Explorer who cares about
> Firefox let alone Iceweasel. No care for Galeon, Konqueror, Safari or
> Opera...

Please don't even get me started on this.  My university just switched
to a product for vieweing web-based broadcasts of classes that has
absolutely the most brain-dead browser detection/lockout I have ever
seen.

> It has come down to the fact that Microsoft made a TON of proprietary
> extensions.
>
> Lets let them jam EOOXML down our throats.

Meh.  They'll do what they want and people will still gladly line to to
fork over a bunch of money and take it up the tailpipe.

> --
> greg@gregfolkert.net
>
> Novell's Directory Services is a competitive product to Microsoft's
> Active Directory in much the same way that the Saturn V is a competitive
> product to those dinky little model rockets that kids light off down at
> the playfield. -- Thane Walkup

That sig made me laugh harder than I've laughed in quite a long time.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez