Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 09:40:52PM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Sam, 27 Jan 2007, Piotr Dziubinski wrote:
> > Iceweasel and Firefox are a different products, very similar, but
> > different.
>
> Can YOU please explain me what *important* differences there are?
[...]
> Otherwise I would like to see what kind of OPERATIONAL difference you
> have found:

There is actually an operational difference.  In the about:config page
the setting general.useragent.extra.firefox is set to
"Iceweasel/2.0.0.1".  Looks harmless, but it stopped me from logging
on to a website.  It would only let me in when I set it to
"Firefox/2.0.0".

Note: that website lists only Firefox 1.0 on Windows as supported
(among a few other proprietary browsers).  But this setting made the
difference between being able to use it and getting a "browser
unsported" page.  I can imagine less technical users being at a loss
in a similar situation.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom