Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 10:15:35PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2007 22:08, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 20:28 -0600, Dave Patterson wrote:
> > > yea, verily, Paul Johnson sayith:
> > >
> > > It's still a fork. The differences will grow.
> >
> > The only real changes since its inception are; The Logos, the name
> > and some variables (and of course those settings).
> >
> > I've not found a single extension that was written for FireFox
> > v2.0.0+ and without any intent to support IceWeasel.
> >
> > I guess, you can read the intent of IceWeasel project if you want
> > *MORE* clarification.
>
> There's also a chance that people may start writing code to replace the
> non-free code in the original.  There could be other reasons to fork a
> project.

Hi Hal,
I think folks may be missing one of the conditions to keep Firefox:
vetting. MozCorp said that they had to inspect the code if Debian wanted
to keep the name. Debian also wanted to support Stable versions and not
just use the latest version which IIRC MozCorp said should do. Debian
also did not want to wait to release security updates by having to get
MozCorp appoval.
Cheers,
Kev
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |