File encryption

If wonder if anyone's got experience or advice to share about a good way of using file encryption on Debian Etch? There seem to be a lot of different methods, but which one might suit the following:

I only want to encrypt a single folder with personal stuff in it. Around 200 files or so. (The Truecrypt virtual disk/containers idea sounds ideal, but I don't want to use Truecrypt. It's not in the Debian repositories and I'm looking for something that has full Debian support.) I guess I could use pgp but I'm wondering if there is something else that offers the virtual disk/containers idea or similar.

TIA

:)

Mark