Re: File encryption

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:03:59PM +0000, Mark Crean wrote:
> If wonder if anyone's got experience or advice to share about a good way
> of using file encryption on Debian Etch? There seem to be a lot of
> different methods, but which one might suit the following:
>
> I only want to encrypt a single folder with personal stuff in it. Around
> 200 files or so. (The Truecrypt virtual disk/containers idea sounds
> ideal, but I don't want to use Truecrypt. It's not in the Debian
> repositories and I'm looking for something that has full Debian
> support.) I guess I could use pgp but I'm wondering if there is
> something else that offers the virtual disk/containers idea or similar.
>
> TIA
>
> :)
>
> Mark

When I want to encrypt a single file I tend to use pgp. To enctypt
an entire filesystem I use dm-crypt.

For encrypting just a personal directory tree (which I think is
what you want) I find that Matt Blaze's CFS works very well.
I have been using it for over 10 years now , originally on a BSD
system, without a problem.

Once the daemon is running, anyone can create encrypted directories
and mount/unmount them as required.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com