Re: File encryption

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:03:59PM +0000, Mark Crean wrote:
> If wonder if anyone's got experience or advice to share about a good way
> of using file encryption on Debian Etch? There seem to be a lot of
> different methods, but which one might suit the following:
>
> I only want to encrypt a single folder with personal stuff in it. Around

If you want to encrypt one directory only, then you may want to take a
look at encfs. (apt-cache show encfs).

$ mkdir /path/to/encrypted/dir
$ mkdir /path/to/clear/dir
$ encfs /path/to/encrypted/dir /path/to/clear/dir

(Now the encrypted dir is set up)

$ cp myfile /path/to/encrypted/dir
$ cd /path/to/encrypted/dir
$ (edit myfile)

$ fusermount -u /path/to/clear/dir

And you'll see encypted files in /path/to/encrypted/dir; nothing on
/path/to/clear/dir, since it was unmounted.

J.