Re: random quirkyness

Mike Myers wrote:
On 1/23/07, *Andrew Sackville-West* <andrew@farwestbilliards.com <mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com>> wrote:

    Mike, please don't cc: me as I subscribe to the list. thanks.

I apologize, I'm using gmail and it did that automatically for some reason.

    On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 03:27:40PM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
     > On 1/23/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com
    <mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com>> wrote:

     > >On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:41:40PM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
     > >> Hi all,
     > >>
     > >> I'm still trying to adjust from Gentoo's way of doing things
    (do it
     > >> manually) to debian's (apt-something) way.  So far everything
    has been
     > >> great, but i'm having trouble finding docs on a couple of
    issues I'm
     > >> having.  Both of them seem related to modules.
     > >>
     > >> First one is with the nvidia driver.  It seems like everytime
    my debian
     > >box
     > >> is rebooted, I have to re-apt-get nvidia-glx before I can use
     > >xorg.  Also,
     > >> GDM doesn't seem to like my 1440x900 (widescreen) resolution
    and I can't
     > >> seem to do anything about it other than just not use GDM (not that
     > >ditching
     > >> it is a big deal).
     > >
     > >I can't speak to the resolution issue, but the xorg issue should
    not
     > >be happening. when you re-apt-get it, does it download it again and
     > >appear to be actually reinstalling it? I wonder if your xorg.conf is
     > >not getting updated correctly and you are correcting for it by
     > >reinstalling each time. how about a copy of your xorg.conf for us to
     > >look at as well as dpkg -l | grep nvidia
     >

     > I'm pretty sure it's not related to xorg, since it works fine
    after running
     > 'apt-get --reinstall install nvidia-glx', even with a
    widescreen.  It's only
     > after a reboot that I must run that, as long as I want to use the
    nvidia
     > driver.  If I use the 'nv' driver, then of course there's no
    issue there,
     > but that driver sucks.  Just to oblige you, here's the contents:
    (hopefully
     > it looks sane enough to read)

    so, what exactly happens when you *don't* apt-get install nvidia-glx?
what output do you get?

It tries to start and then fails, saying it can't find the nvidia module, even though it's loaded. So I get a blank screen.

I had this problem with the nvidia module. The problem for me is that it's not loaded automatically so when X starts up it tries to load the nvidia module then start X, but the nvidia module isn't loaded quickly enough so it fails.

issuing '/etc/init.d/gdm (kdm for me) restart' should try again sucessfully as the module is now loaded. If this works add nvidia to /etc/modules so its loaded automatically on boot and is available for X when it needs it.

If you already do this then please ignore:)

HTH

Wackojacko